Friday, September 24, 2010

Malgudi Subha Female Play Back Singer of India


Malgudi Subha (also spelled as Malgadi Shubaa) is an Indian playback singer. She has recorded songs in Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam and Hindi

She counts Usha Uthup among her rolemodels. 

She debuted as a playback singer through the film Nadodi Thendral, with music by Ilayaraja. Ace Indian composer A. R. Rahman's debut album, Set Me Free (also called Shubhaa Set Me Free) had all its songs sung by Malgudi Shubha. The album which was released in early nineties by some local labels went unnoticed, but became a good seller when it was re-released in 1996 by the label "Magnasound".

Her first successful album, Chikpak Chikbhum, which was released in Chennai, sold eight lakh copies.  The songs were composed by Raj-Koti, who were assisted by A. R. Rahman.

She has also appeared as a judge on the Malayalam language music competition program Idea Star Singer. She is presently one of the Judges in Star Singer 2 (Kannada), airing on Asianet Suvarna from 7-8 PM on weekdays.She has also appeared as a judge on the tamil music competition program "SUPER SINGER JUNIOR 2".

The South-Indian actress Priyamani is her niece.

How it happened

Till the age of 13, my family was in Bombay. After that, we shifted to Delhi. I started singing jingles. Hearing my voice, a family friend took me to then popular newsreader Komal G.B. Singh’s studio. I continued with jingles, and sang them in nearly 26 languages. When I moved to Chennai, I sang jingles for A. R. Rahman and Viji Manuel. Viji recommended me to Ilaiyaraja, who was searching for a good voice for Nadodi Thendral. Around the same time, Telugu music director Raj Koti heard my jingles, and came up with an album, ‘Chik Pak Chik Bam’, a big hit. Raj Koti gave me a song, Malgadi Yekki Goal Konda, in Athirathodu. After that, I was known as ‘Malgudi’ Subha.

How it felt

It was a dream come true to sing in films. Every one said my voice was different, and I became a busy playback singer.

How life changed

Today, I have sung for all the top music directors in the South, and have more than 2,500 songs in the South Indian languages and Hindi to my credit. All I want to do is I keep singing, as music is my only passion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment